CRCSD Offers Aid in this Time of Need

Cougar+Pantry%2C+the+resource+that+Kennedy+offered+to+students+who+needed+or+wanted++food+to+take+home.+

Haylee Brewer

Cougar Pantry, the resource that Kennedy offered to students who needed or wanted food to take home.

The Cedar Rapids Community school district made the decision to shut down schools for four weeks to combat the Coronavirus that continues to spread globally. Seniors are wondering what will become of their final year of high school, asking if there is still going to be prom and if spring sports are being canceled. More pressing though, some students are left having to wonder where their next meal is coming from.

There are numerous children within the CRCSD that rely on the district’s meal plan. They count on school lunches as one guaranteed meal a day. CRCSD has taken steps to ensure that these children will still have the opportunity to receive nutritional food.

Announced at the Linn Co. News Conference, there will be eight locations in which students can visit for a grab-and-go meal distributed at no charge. These locations are Arthur, Grant, Grant Wood, Hoover, Wright, Taylor, Nixon, and Roosevelt, all middle and elementary schools within the CRCSD.

This program aiding students starts on Mon, Mar 23 from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.

All individuals under 18, regardless of what school they are enrolled in if any, can receive food at these centers. Meal bags will contain lunch for the day and breakfast for the next.

As students are learning to deal with this situation, the district does not want them wondering where they are going to eat. The district is doing everything in its power to ensure that kids don’t have to deal with the added pressure of uncertainty during these trying times.