Student Government to Host a Blood Drive April 25

Flyer posted in Kennedy hallway containing information for the blood drive.
Talia Hutchison

Have you ever wanted to donate blood and save lives? Now is your chance. Kennedy Student Government has partnered with ImpactLife to host a blood drive on April 25 from 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. 

“The blood drive is important because people out there need it. The more blood donated the better,” junior Jacob Eilders said. 

Students must be at least 110 pounds and in good health to donate. Students must also be 16 years of age or older. If a student is 16 years old, they must fill out a consent form. These forms will be available for pick up in Joseph Benedict’s room, 164,  or may be printed off of the website www.bloodcenter.org

Established in 1974 and headquartered in Davenport, Iowa, ImpactLife is the Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center. ImpactLife is a nonprofit, independent community blood center. Throughout the years they have expanded into Illinois, Missouri and Wisconsin. 

ImpactLife supplies more than 120 hospitals in a four-state region with blood products and their mission is to save lives by providing blood products and services to communities in need. ImpactLife has nine locations in Iowa, two being in Cedar Rapids.

The need for blood is significant. According to ImpactLife, 36,000 units are needed every day. One pint of whole blood saves up to four lives. In America, blood is needed every two seconds. 

A substitute for donated blood does not exist. The only resource available to specialists when a patient requires a blood transfusion is to use a unit of donated blood. One donation is split into three different components; red blood cells, platelets and plasmas. These components are divided up among several patients in need of blood.

Students who donate may receive a $10 gift card or a charitable donation to Best Friends Animal Society.

“Students should donate blood because it helps people that need it and gives back to the community,” Eilders said.

Talk to Mr. Benedict or a student in Student Government if you would like to donate. You can email Mr. Benedict at [email protected].