“It’s Just a Part of the Game”: Addressing Kennedy Student Section Behavior

Kennedys student section turn up in a Green Out to support players, cheering over a made shot.
Kennedy’s student section turn up in a “Green Out” to support players, cheering over a made shot.
Merideth Langton

With the end of another undefeated regular season for the Kennedy Varsity Boys Basketball team, Kennedy sports teams continue to prove why they’re some of the best in the state. However, having such a stellar season comes with trash talk, excitement and rowdy students. 

The Kennedy Varsity Boys Basketball team played their substate final game on Feb. 27 against North Scott. The game was close throughout, winning 57 to 55, and the student section was packed. Stakes were high and with large crowds came deep emotions and trash talk.

When the game ended, North Scott players were upset and the Kennedy student section didn’t shy from acknowledging that. During daily announcements on Feb. 28, Kennedy Principal Jason Kline responded with a video to address the student section. 

“The taunting behavior at last night’s game was unacceptable,” Kline said. “I encourage everyone to be happy about our team’s success but making fun of the other players who are visibly sad crosses the line.” 

This is not the first time that Kline and students didn’t agree on how to support the Kennedy team. @BarstoolKennedy is an account run by students that comment on school sports. While the account isn’t affiliated with Kennedy admin the lines are often blurred. 

@BarstoolKennedy tweets on Jan. 16, 2023, addressing a student that got kicked out of the student section during the game because of their taunting of the other team.

Students believe that the cheers and taunting are all a part of a fun student section but Kline see’s these behaviors differently.

“Ignore them, if people are taunting and harassing just ignore them,” Kline said. “Don’t respond, we’re better than that. It’s not an excuse. You guys are old enough to know that if someone says something to you, you don’t have to respond back.”  

No matter how students may feel, the Kennedy student section is a reflection of the adults in our building. Students are judged by admin from the other school, parents, refs, and news reporters. Being emboldened by another team to participate in unsportsmanship-like behavior isn’t justification.  To keep sporting events enjoyable, students must adhere to administration rules.