The Student News Source Of Kennedy High School

Kennedy Torch

Kennedy Torch

Kennedy Torch

Micah Schlaak: A Killer on the Court

Isaac White
Schlakk brings the house down with a two handed slam dunk.

Wearing #15 is senior Micah Schlaak. Schlaak stands at 6’6” with 12.3 point average and making 67% of his shots. Varsity Boys Basketball Coach Jon McKowen says he’s been watching Schlaak since his freshman year. 

“Micah is a great person and that makes it a lot of fun to coach him,” McKowen said. “He gives genuine effort each day and is extremely coachable, if you give him a skill to work on- you know he will master it.”

At every basketball game, there is a student section cheering on their team. Schlaak said the crowd is one of his favorite parts.

“The environment is really fun to play in and a lot of people usually show up to the games,” Schlaak said. 

Schlaak’s dad put him in basketball at the age of four years old and feels he’s accomplished a lot in his years of playing. 

“His ability to grow as a person and player,” McKowen said. “From freshman year to now he has developed into a different player. He did not start out as one of the best players in the state as a Freshman but with his work ethic and determination, he is now.” 

Schlaak signed with the Southwest Minnesota State University Mustangs on Nov. 9, where he plans to continue his basketball career. 

“I am going to a division two school in Minnesota. SMSU is the name of it,” Schlaak said. “I will study business or finance while playing basketball.”