Kennedy receives Bank Iowa Challenge Cup

Athletics+and+fine+arts+participants+helped+win+the+Bank+Iowa+Challenge+Cup.+

Athletics and fine arts participants helped win the Bank Iowa Challenge Cup.

Kennedy athletes and fine art students filed into the front foyer on Sept. 12 as Kennedy received its first “Bank Iowa Traveling Challenge Cup” award and a $1,750 check. The award is presented for the school’s achievements in academics, athletics, and fine arts.

The Bank Iowa Award has been given to selected Iowa high schools for the past seven years. Past winners include Ames, Ankeny, Pleasant Valley, and Iowa City West.

“This places you among the elite high schools of Iowa,” Jim Plagge, CEO of Bank Iowa, said during the award ceremony. “You all ought to be congratulated.”

Kennedy received 1280 points in the competition to win, with 575 points coming from academic achievement alone. Participation by Kennedy’s two bowling teams pushed Kennedy in front of Waukee High School, giving the school the edge.

Principal Jason Kline says it was the academic performance by Kennedy students in extracurriculars that put Kennedy on top.

“We need every student that wants to and can to get into athletics, get interested in fine arts, participate in activities like speech, and keep the grades up,” Kline said. “Use the time you have during the day to get work done and concentrate on those activities at night.”

Kline says that he is most proud of this achievement for Kennedy so far this year.