Kennedy receives threat

Kennedy receives threat

Kennedy High School has been placed on heightened security for the rest of the week after the Cedar Rapids Police Department received a potential threat towards the school. Kennedy students and parents we’re made aware of this via phone message from Principal Jason Kline last night. Here is his statement.

Kennedy will still have increased security around the school throughout the week.

Here is the message sent to students and parents from Principal Kline.

“Hello Kennedy families, this is Jason Kline, principal at Kennedy High School. I wanted to make you aware of a situation brought to our attention by the Cedar Rapids Police Department. The police have received information regarding a potential threat against our school.  They have thoroughly investigated the situation and are not able to substantiate the credibility of the information. However, because the security of our student and staff is always our top priority, the Cedar Rapids Police Department will provide additional visibility at and around our school campus for the remainder of this week. Be assured, that our administration and staff will continue to work with law enforcement to provide a safe and secure learning environment.”

Charity Hansel, Kennedy’s security officer, will be on alert throughout the day, along with other officers.

“We have some officers in the area and some will probably stop in the school,” Hansel said. “If you see anything suspicious or out of the ordinary, let a staff member or myself know,”

In the meantime, Kline doesn’t want any rumors to start because of this.

“I want to make sure students handle it the right way by not engaging in rumor telling,” Kline said.