Jason Kline named new principal

Jason Kline named new principal

Dr. Dave Benson, Superintendent of the Cedar Rapids Community School District, has recommended Jason Kline as the new Kennedy High School Principal. The recommendation is pending approval by the Board of Education at the May 13 meeting.

Kline currently serves as assistant principal at Myers Park High School in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg School District, Charlotte, NC. The high school has an enrollment of some 2,800 students. During his five-year tenure at Myers Park, Kline helped to implement Professional Learning Community strategies and a Graduation Assistance Program that provides mentoring support for freshmen. That program has been instrumental in reducing student absenteeism and increasing academic performance.

Kline earned a BA degree in secondary education from Grove City College in Pennsylvania, a M.Ed in school administration from Edinboro University in Pennsylvania, and school administration licensure from Wingate University, Metro College in Charlotte, NC.

“I am excited about coming to Kennedy because it is such a vibrant and diverse learning environment,” Kline said. “Kennedy is in the position to become a model high school as we will continue working to help all students find success. My goal is to increase opportunities for all students to graduate prepared for college and careers. I cannot wait to get started!”

Kline’s recommendation for hire follows an application and review process that included candidate forums with Kennedy students, staff, and community members.

“The selection process worked,” noted Dr. Gary O’Malley, Deputy Superintendent. “We are very pleased that Jason Kline has accepted our offer to become the next principal at Kennedy High School. He will bring the experience, passion, poise and work ethic necessary to excel in his new responsibilities.”

Kline was one of three finalists interviewed by Dr. Benson. Brian Coppess and Aaron Stecker were also interviewed.

“The process was both thorough and thoughtful, and it provided for input by the Kennedy school community and others in the District,” said Dr. Benson. “We had three very solid finalists for the position and I am pleased that Jason will be joining the District as Kennedy’s principal.”

Kline will replace Dr. Mary Wilcynski who is retiring.