Books piling high for AP classes

Books piling high for AP classes

Books are piled high and it seems like there is an endless amount of work to be done before the school night is over. Students enrolled in AP classes say that classes can be very stressful but also highly rewarding.

Whether it’s one AP class or four, students at Kennedy High School are challenging themselves and working towards earning college credits.

“I chose AP to work towards college credits and because I want to challenge myself in learning,” Hannah Harberts, so., said.

Senior Bailey Steinke is taking AP Economics, AP French, AP Calculus, and AP Literature. She thinks it is very difficult to handle the time commitment and workload.

“It’s really, really hard but I schedule myself and use my planner like it’s no one’s business,” Steinke said.

Sam Hanzelka, so., is taking two AP classes and thinks homework is a huge responsibility. He usually spends two to three hours on homework each night.

Harberts’ way to success is to manage her time efficiently. “I basically use my class time to the best of its ability and I try to work around my sports and social events,” she said.

Along with the huge reward of gaining college credits and the challenge of learning, there is, however, a negative side in the eyes of the students. “There is so much stress with the work. I always feel pressure to do well and it takes a lot of time away from my sports and friends,” Harberts said.

Dr. Michael Ayers, AP Language and Composition teacher, is the head of the Kennedy committee which focuses on how to help and support students who take AP classes.

“I think the students get concerned when they are taking a lot of AP classes and they are not used to struggling, but the idea of the class is to be challenging,” Ayers said. “The teachers, however, are trying to provide a certain structure to help them stay in the class.”

Students like to have a goal in mind when taking AP classes. Harberts wants to try and complete eight AP courses before she graduates. Steinke is going to graduate in May, 2013 and she will have completed eight AP classes.

It takes a certain type of person to handle the workload and commitment that AP classes require to be successful. It also takes some specific qualities to complete the work that is given.

“You need to be a strong reader and writer,” Jessica Wise, AP World History teacher, said. “It’s also very important to have an interest in what you’re learning.”