Class of 2024 Graduation
The Student News Source Of Kennedy High School

Kennedy Torch

Kennedy Torch

Kennedy Torch

Girls Tennis Swings Into a New Season

Senior+Jennifer+Phillips+tosses+the+ball+as+she+starts+the+match.+
Isaac White
Senior Jennifer Phillips tosses the ball as she starts the match.

Kennedy’s girls’ tennis teams are beginning their 2024 season and will be coached by Ethan Divis. This will be Divis’s first year coaching the team.

“My favorite thing about girls tennis is all the energy our players bring to every match and every practice,” Divis said. “They do a tremendous job being positive and encouraging one another.” 

This year’s team is led by seniors Olivia Hubbard, Ellie Hance and Jennifer Phillips. 

“I want to highlight and compliment our three seniors in our varsity lineup,” Divis said. “They have done a tremendous job leading the team this year as seniors.” 

Phillips was player of the day against City High on April 6, winning two of her three singles matches and standing out amongst her peers. She then played doubles with Hance, going 6-2, 3-6 and 10-2 to win the match. 

“I wish people knew how much fun tennis is and how much endurance it takes,” Phillips said. “People don’t realize how many games you play in a single match and the endurance you need to play so many games.”

Tennis is a sport that anyone can play and everyone on the team helps contribute to a win. 

“A good team overall consists of strong senior leadership, and players with a willingness to get better in practice and in matches,” Divis said. “Our players have done a tremendous job learning from our first three meets and have translated that to getting better in practice.”