Traditions On and Off the Field

Freshman Mirabelle Sackerfield plays trumpet for Kennedy Band.
Jersey Bilyeu

From stepping on the field at the first game, to the last drumline cadence leaving it, Kennedy band members have traditions that keep the program fun. Musicians said this makes the band a collaborative team that plays better together.

“Having traditions help people feel valued and stay in band,” Band Manager Jenna Raid said.

At the beginning of the marching band’s season, practicing with every player at the same time gets overwhelming to incoming members. Traditions are meant to help ease that fear.

“Feeling connected to all of the members of the band no matter what grade they’re in,” senior  Joslynn Ovel, a mellophone and French horn player, said.

The first week of August marks the beginning of Kennedy’s week-long band camp, where marchers learn the basics of marching and start practicing show music. The Friday after the final session is the annual Kennedy Band Kickball Tournament where marchers take a break from music and play in a kickball tournament divided by instrumental sections.

“The kickball tournament is the biggest [tradition] at the beginning of band each year and sets the tone for the season,” Raid said.

The tournament allows for marchers to spend time with each other and for new members to feel more a part of the band. 

As the season progresses to games, post-halftime the band will meet behind Kingston bleachers to listen to director Lesley Fleer talk through their performance; a tradition that helps the band learn from each show. Afterward, the band goes to Perkins for a late-night meal. 

The biggest meal for Kennedy band is their annual trip to the Clinton Pizza Ranch. The Clinton ‘Music On The March’ competition is the band’s last performance. Before they compete, they feast on Pizza Ranch’s “all you can eat” buffet.

Concluding their marching season, different instrument sections will host their own traditions.

“Every year the flutes do a Secret Santa at Christmas and have a Christmas party,” Raid said. “We also do section hoodies every year and at the end of the year at the band banquet every senior signs a big shirt and it gets passed down to the person in our section who the section leaders feel will best carry on the traditions and spirit of the section.”

The section hoodies are designed and bought by the members. The design usually includes their instrument and an inside joke on the front.

“Mellophones always put a marshmallow on ours since we’re the mellos,” Ovel said.

As the year draws to a close, the band has its annual banquet where seniors will pass down “band awards” to underclassmen. These awards aren’t actual medals, but spoons, toy dinosaurs and a military helmet that have been in the program as early as the 2000s.

“Our traditions are all about developing relationships within the band,” Raid said. “Since marching band is about collaboration and cooperation between sections, band traditions help foster a productive environment.”