A guide to summer: Music Festivals

A guide to summer: Music Festivals

As the summer days roll by, days are spent with friends and family, and a sense of summery nostalgia fills each of us, the amount of new music and music festivals increases. Home to many music musical festivals, summertime is as great as any to take a trip around the Midwest and visit the ever popular Lollapalooza, the increasingly popular 80/35 or Pitchfork Music Festivals, or take a new spin with Electric Forest. Music festivals have become increasingly popular over high school students. Most music festivals such as Lollapalooza span over several days with 100’s of different artists performing. Each music festival has a unique lineup and events that follow.

The Midwest alone features several music festivals over the summer months, but none more popular and increasingly popular than Lollapalooza. This year Lollapalooza runs from August 3rd through 5th. One of the biggest perks of Lollapalooza is that in each day there are over 20-30 artist who perform. The headliners this year include Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Black Keys, Black Sabbath, Jack White, and Florence+ The Machine. Lollapalooza has become increasingly popular in high school students. Kyle Hermanson, sr., is going to Lollapalooza for the first time this year. After being unable to go last year due to football, Hermanson was set to go to Lollapalooza this year. “I’m really excited to go this year, because there is a lot of good acts, but most excited for Jack White,” Hermanson said. Lollapalooza is in Grant Park downtown Chicago and generates a lot of revenue for the city of Chicago.

80/35 has been increasingly popular over the past several years. After having more popular artists such as Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros and Girl Talk in the previous year, this year will be headlined by one of the biggest names 80/35 has had with Death Cab for Cutie and the Avett Brothers. One of the largest advantages to Kennedy students is that 80/35 is in Iowa and only a two day music festival as well as the fact that it’s much cheaper. Jonah Heskje, Jr., first heard about 80/35 this year, and with the announcement that Death Cab for Cutie would be the headliner was excited to go. “I wanted to go to 80/35 not only for the music, but for the experience. I’ve been to concerts before but this will be my first music festival,” Heskje said.

80/35 is a much different experience than most music festivals, although it may have a smaller lineup, they’re more opportunities to meet artists. “, because the setting is a bit more intimate than say Lolla or Bonnaroo, there’s a better chance of meeting your favorite artist at the Meet and Greet tent or just in line for hot dogs,” Mackenzie Sheehy, Campus Marketing Representative for 80/35, said. 80/35 is almost the most cost efficient music festival in the Midwest and is the closest of all the ones in the Midwest. “80/35 is an awesome music festival for Kennedy students because it’s only a few hours away as compared to Bonnaroo or Lollapalooza, and tickets are only $65 as compared to several hundred dollars. You get to see a lot of huge names like Avett Brothers, Atmosphere, and Death Cab For Cutie close to home and at an affordable price,” Sheehy said.

Most music festivals are rather a mixed taste in music genres, but Electric Forest is a music festival that focuses directly on electro music. With big names such as Bassnectar, Girl Talk and The String Cheese Incident Electric Forest is promising. Electric Forest is the farthest of the music festivals in the Midwest because it is in Michigan. Electric forest is a huge opportunity for electro fans to see big named artists as well as camp in the forests of Michigan.

Pitchfork Music Festival is among one of the newest music festivals but has become increasingly popular in the past two years. This year Pitchfork Music Festival show cases a lot of the artists featured on Pitchfork Media’s website. Pitchfork is a smaller scale festival than Lollapalooza but showcases a lot of talent from different genres.

Of these increasingly popular music festivals each one has something special no matter what it may be. As the summer months wind down each music festival approaches it gives a great opportunity to spend time with friends and listen to music. ” I’m going with a large group of friends so it should be a good experience and a chance for all of us to hang out together before we go our separate ways for college,” Hermanson said. Of one of the many things to do this summer, for any music fan, going to a music festival is one good way to make the list.

Below is a quick information guide of the four musical festivals talked about in the story. For more information visit websites of the festivals.

[box type=”info” style=”rounded”]

Lollapalooza Quick Facts:

When: August 3rd-5th

Where: Chicago, Illinois

Ticket availability/cost: 1 day passes, $95 per day.

Headliners: Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Black Keys, Black Sabbath, Jack White, and Florence+ The Machine.

Other Notable Artists:Passion Pit, J. Cole,[button link=”http://torch.kennedymedia.org/2012/04/26/april-artist-of-the-month-childish-gambino/” size=”small” style=”info” color=”orange” window=”yes”] Childish Gambino[/button], Frank Ocean, The Weeknd, Justice, Avcii, At The Drive-In, and Franz Ferdinand.

Website: For tickets and more artists visit: http://www.lollapalooza.com/

[/box]   [box type=”info” style=”rounded”]

80/35 Quick Facts:

When: July 6th-7th

Where: Des Moines, Iowa

Ticket availability/cost: Regular 1 day pass: $39, Regular 2 day passes: $65.

Headliners: The Avett Brothers, Death Cab for Cutie

Other Notable Artists:Freddie Gibbs, Bright Giant, and Atmosphere.

Website: For tickets and more artists visit: http://80-35.com
[/box]

[box type=”info” style=”rounded”]

Electric Forest Quick Facts:

When: June 28th-July 1st

Where: Rothbury, Michigan

Ticket availability/cost: Regular Weekend Pass: $242.50

Headliners: The String Cheese Incident, Bassnectar, STS9, Thievery Corporation, and Girl Talk.

Other Notable Artists: Santigold, Steve Aoki, Big Gigantic, Das Racist, Beats Antique, 12thPlanet, and The Knocks.

Website: For tickets and more artists visit: http://electricforestfestival.com
[/box]

[box type=”info” style=”rounded”]

Pitchfork Music Festival Quick Facts:

When: July 13th-15th

Where: Chicago, Illinois

Ticket availability/cost: Single day passes: $45 dollars per each day.

Headliners: Fiest, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Vampire Weekend, Hot Chips, A$Ap Rocky, and AraabMuzik

Other Notable Artists:Kendrick Lamar, Big K.R.I.T, Sleigh Bells, Danny Brown, Japandroids, and Cults.

Website: For tickets and more artists visit: http://pitchfork.com/festivals/chicago/2012/[/box]