UnityPoint Apprenticeship Sign-On Day Welcomes 24

UnityPoint Health’s sign-on day was held at 8 a.m. on Dec. 7 at the Kirkwood Linn Regional Center. This day welcomed two dozen high school students into their apprenticeship program.

Students who have taken the Patient Care Academy or pre-RN courses at Kirkwood Community College partner with the program to help gain employment as Patient Care Technicians in one of UnityPoint Health’s local hospitals or long-term care facilities.

The paid apprenticeship gives students real-life experience in the medical field under the supervision of assigned mentors. These mentors guide them through the everyday tasks of their jobs and allow them to safely learn about caring for patients in the nursing field.

Students in the program will be required to 2,000 hours in their chosen healthcare facility which typically takes around two years. However, one of the beneficial things about this program is that students are allowed to dictate their own pace.

“The wonderful thing about the program is they can work at their own pace and be flexible around their schedule with school and activities,” K-12 Partnership Program Manager Lindsey Neuhaus said.

The apprenticeship program is available every semester, to all who pass Kirkwood’s Nurse Aid Program.

“This program also helps those students that are planning on going into the nursing program, by giving them real-life experience,” Neuhaus said. “Plus, they get paid to work and learn at the same time.”