The Student News Source Of Kennedy High School

Kennedy Torch

Kennedy Torch

Kennedy Torch

Kennedy Dance Team Begins Their Season with State Solo Qualifiers

Courtney Kalb
Freshman Elle Rammelsberg receives a medal and ISDTA shirt for qualifying at State Solo Qualifiers.

The Iowa State Drill Team Association (ISDTA) hosted solo state qualifiers at Newton High School on Saturday, Oct. 28. Kennedy soloists competed against 11 schools and 80 soloists in their division. Dancers then fought for a spot in the top ten overall to advance to the state competition.

This is the first year ISDTA has done a solo qualifier event. In the past, everyone who competed a solo went to state but due to the growing competition, you now must qualify to compete. 

Kennedy’s dance team took five soloists to compete, seniors Aubrey Wolf, Lily Newhouse, Calista Kelly, junior Mackenzie Greer and freshman Elle Rammelsberg. Each girl received a division one rating, the highest rank available. 

“Each one of them had a little bit different style with their routine and they all came out and put on an incredible performance for the judges and fans,” Kennedy Dance Team Coach Courtney Kalb said. 

Rammelsberg placed amongst the top ten soloists in the class 11 division, qualifying her to compete at the state competition.

“They typically only give out ten placements at the state competition,” Kalb said. “So Elle making it in the top 10 finalists is a huge deal for the Kennedy Dance Team.”

ISDTA did not specify placement in the top ten, giving all those who placed an equal shot at state. 

“After they called my name in the top ten I was in disbelief,” Rammelsberg said. “I couldn’t believe that I made it out of all those dancers.”

The ISDTA state competition will take place at the Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines on Dec. 1. Kennedy’s dance team will also compete on Nov. 11 at Prairie.