Class of 2024 Graduation
The Student News Source Of Kennedy High School

Kennedy Torch

Kennedy Torch

Kennedy Torch

Best Buddies: Developing Relationships and Forming Experiences

Isaac White
Sophomore Sam Bloomquist holds up the “Best Buddies” sign, accompanied by his buddy.

Best Buddies is an international club that focuses on providing disabled children with a friend and elevating the amount of social interaction in their lives.

Kennedy’s chapter is advised by Mary Gibney, who has been running Best Buddies at Kennedy for the past 18 years.

“Best Buddies is a club whose goal is to build one-to-one friendships between people with and without intellectual disabilities and to offer social interactions and activities to build on that friendship and inclusion in our school community,” Gibney said. 

Long-lasting relationships and experiences are formed within the club.

“I love seeing the interactions that occur between the buddy and peer buddy groups. I especially love hearing about the friendships that have continued on beyond high school,” Gibney said.

Best Buddies does activities throughout the year such as the Homecoming Parade, trunk or treats, holiday parties, movie events and participation in the Special Olympics towards the end of the school year.

Students can follow this link to join Best Buddies!