The Student News Source Of Kennedy High School

Kennedy Torch

Kennedy Torch

Kennedy Torch

Homecoming Week Rolls Into Kennedy

Merideth Langton
Senior Anabel Bradley throws candy during the 2022 Kennedy Homecoming Parade.

An annual tradition kicks off this week at Kennedy High School as students prepare for homecoming with multiple school events. Leading up to the dance, Cougars will dress out for spirit week, the powderpuff game, the parade, and the homecoming game. 

You can feel the electricity in the air as students gear up for the homecoming game. Kennedy, going 3-2 for their 2023 season, will be going head-to-head with Bentondorf who is currently 5-0. The homecoming royalty will also be announced during halftime. The court consists of seniors Alivia Foster, Daraiya Hurt, Elizabeth Hawks, Kenna McHenry, Laikin Wood, Trisiyah Hurt, Anthony Franklin, Cyrus Courtney, Griffin Gerdes, Jace Scott, Lincoln Meyers, Luke O’Brien, Reid Hall, and Zion Jackson-Collins. This game will start at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 29 at Kingston Stadium. 

This week’s spirit themes leading up to the game are Groutfit, Anything but a Backpack Day, Barbie, BBQ Dad vs. Soccer Mom, and Spirit Out consecutively.

The homecoming parade, on Wednesday, Sept. 27, is a chance for clubs and teams to show what they have to offer. This parade will have floats from a variety of clubs and sports teams. The parade will start at 6:00 p.m. and will end with the powderpuff game on the soccer field.

The Powderpuff Game is an event where varsity members from multiple clubs and teams participate in a football game. However, the guys and girls switch roles. The girls will be the ones playing, and the boys will be the ones cheering them on. 

The homecoming dance will be held on Sept. 30 in the West Gym. Students can purchase tickets in the cafeteria during their lunch blocks.