The Student News Source Of Kennedy High School

Kennedy Torch

Kennedy Torch

Kennedy Torch

Pep Assemblies: An Age Old Tradition

Kiera Zwack
Junior class celebrates after getting a point.

Pep assemblies are a long-standing tradition at Kennedy. The four classes compete three times a year for the spirit stick and celebrate seasonal sports achievements.

“I look forward to pep assemblies to go against the different grade levels in fun competitions,” sophomore Grace Tebockhorst said.

Principal Jason Kline enjoys letting the students have fun and let go a little.  The gym is filled with confetti with competitions, sing-alongs and friendly rivalry. 

“Yes, I love pep assemblies, the games [this year] did not disappoint. It was a good spirit stick competition,” Kline said.

Kennedy’s pep assemblies are different from other high schools and are used as a way to recognize all activities at Kennedy. 

“It’s a great way for someone to step outside of their comfort zone a little bit to get out in front of everyone for those who don’t get the recognition,” Activities Director Shawn Thomsen said. “To step in front of the student section and support their class or show their excitement and those are things I think about when I create the games to give opportunities for students who usually don’t.” 

Pep assemblies are an important aspect of the atmosphere and morale at Kennedy but the scale of the event makes it difficult to plan.

“One of the things when we interviewed for this position is making sure the people we interviewed have some idea of what they were getting themselves into because this is a very difficult thing to do,” Kline said. 

Four teachers judge the assembly games. The fall assembly ended with the Class of 2025 winning the spirit stick.