Class of 2024 Graduation
The Student News Source Of Kennedy High School

Kennedy Torch

Kennedy Torch

Kennedy Torch

The Kennedy Boys Varsity Soccer Team comes together after the first half of the game.
Photos: Varsity Boys Soccer Faces Tough Defeat Against Pleasant Valley on April 20
River Borgerding and Brooklyn GilchristApril 30, 2024

Continue Reading
Caitlin Clark and how she has changed the trajectory of womens basketball.
Caitlin Clark: Changing the Game
Lucy McCord, Writer • April 25, 2024

Throughout the 2023-2024 Iowa women’s basketball season, Caitlin Clark has been on top. She has broken records, become a national sensation...

Continue Reading
Ruggeri hits the ball back to opponent.
Photos: Varsity Girls Tennis Competes at Xavier on April 9
River Borgerding and Brooklyn GilchristApril 18, 2024

Continue Reading
With the whole team behind him kicking a penalty shot is Kade Popenhagen.
Photos: Varsity Boys Soccer Face Tough Defeat Against Washington Warriors
Brooklyn Gilchrist and River BorgerdingApril 17, 2024

Continue Reading
Competing hurdles for Kennedy Girls Track is sophomore Kenzie Cone.
Photos: April 11 Boys and Girls Track at Linn-Mar
Seamus Duggan, Photographer • April 17, 2024

Check out our Flickr for more photos!

Continue Reading
View All

Cedar Rapids Legend Nick Brooks Returns to Kennedy

Isaac White
Nick Brooks verbally commits to the University of Iowa in the Kennedy cafeteria.

Standing at 6’8” and weighing 340 lbs, Junior Nick Brooks stands out in a crowd. Brooks has been gaining national attention since he started on Kennedy’s offensive line. He’s received over 25 scholarship offers from colleges across the United States. On Sept. 8 Brooks verbally committed to the University of Iowa.

“I had a feeling in my heart, once I got the offer I was pretty much locked in,” Brooks said. “Being only 20 minutes away from home, it played a big part in my decision.”

After starting his football career at Harding Middle School in Cedar Rapids, Brooks moved to St. Francis High School in Georgia. This year he moved back to his hometown to play for Kennedy alongside his middle school friends.

“He grew up around most of these guys on the team,” Kennedy’s Varsity Football Coach Brian White said. “Sometimes it seems like he never left.”

Family plays a big role in Brooks’s life and drives his success on the field.

“Everybody’s a family on the team,” Brooks said. “If I need someone to have my back, someone’s gonna have it.”

Brooks’ stature benefits him on the field, but coaches said he has more to offer.

“He brings a good attitude and mental strength to the team,” White said. “I know that he’s a good football player and I know he can be a much better football player…but I think he’s only going to keep getting better as time goes on.”