The Student News Source Of Kennedy High School

Kennedy Torch

Kennedy Torch

Kennedy Torch

Kennedy Volleyball Player Maren Diederich Nominated for Des Moines Register Female Athlete of the Week

Isaac White
Junior Athlete of the Week Maren Diederich serves one of her aces.

Junior Maren Diederich has been named the Des Moines Register Female Athlete of the Week for Aug. 20-26. During the first week of fall sports, candidates across Iowa were recognized for their athletic performances. Kennedy Girls Varsity Volleyball kicked off their season on Aug. 23 with a win over Iowa City High, 3-2. Kennedy ran a 5-1—a rotation style with one setter in the lineup—using Diederich. During the game, Diederich had 53 assists along with four service aces and two blocks. 

“I felt pretty good about how I played against City High but I never expected to get nominated for athlete of the week,” said Diederich. “It’s definitely my ‘15 minutes of fame’,” Family, friends and fans voted for the nominee along with sending congratulations, which she has been grateful for. “Their cheers and encouragement when they found out have meant so much. It’s nice to know I have so many people that care and are invested in what I do.” 

Girls Varsity Volleyball Head Coach Robin Fonck shares Diederich’s enthusiasm regarding her recognition. “I think this is incredibly exciting for Maren,” said Fonck. “She’s a great athlete and continues to grow in her role as a leader on the court.” 

Despite being an asset, Diederich approached her first varsity game with a healthy amount of anxiety and plenty of nerves.

“My first varsity experience was fun but also very stressful. I honestly thought I’d botch it,” Diederich said. “Playing an extremely close 5-set match as my first game was not at all what I expected, but those types of games are the most fun to play and to watch.” Despite the fears, Diederich said, “I got to make some great plays with my teammates and got great feedback throughout the games from my coaches.” 

Diederich has played volleyball for nearly seven years. In that time she has played as a setter for both school and club volleyball. This is her first year on Kennedy’s varsity team and in two weeks of the season, she has accumulated 83 assists, 11 digs and 4 service aces. 

According to Fonck, the addition of Diederich to the varsity team was strategic and multi-purpose. “Maren earned her spot on varsity based on her skills as a setter and her positivity on the court. As a setter Maren is able to put the ball in the most optimal place for our attackers.”

With months of the season left, Diederich intends to grow beyond her current skill set and in areas not entirely athletic.

“My main goal for the rest of the season is to become more of a leader,” said Diederich. “For my first few weeks on varsity I had returning players help me out and keep me motivated, but as a setter part of my job is to do that for them as well. I hope with more practice I can find my confidence and run the court without second guessing myself.”