Boy’s Cross Country Heads To State After a Record Breaking Season

Jersey Bilyeu

Miles Wilson races to the finish line at Seminole Valley.

Emma Beachner, Writer

Kennedy Boys’ Cross Country is heading to state on Saturday, Oct. 29. Kennedy has five runners in Iowa’s 4A cross country top fifty. Senior Miles Wilson is the eighth runner in the state out of all classes. 

Kennedy Boys’ Cross Country coach, Brian Annis, says this is the best Kennedy team he has had. 

“On paper this is the best year we’ve had, from a statistics view.” said Annis.

The team is currently ranked seventh and will be sending a total of seven students to the state meet this Saturday. Four Kennedy runners placed top 15 in the conference at the state qualifier meet at the Dubuque Soccer Complex on Oct. 19. 

“Hopefully we can make the top five and be the best team in the conference at state,” said Annis. 

Off season practice began in the summer every morning, and continued in the school year.

“The dedication in the off-season was what helped push my athletes to do what they are doing now,” said Annis. 

Senior, Miles Wilson, has broken three school records this season and is currently third in 4A.

“[Breaking a record is] a great feeling, the achievement, its something I’ve been working towards all year,” said Wilson

Wilson shares the same wish as his coach, that the team will place in the top five at state. 

“Everyone really stepped up and did a great job this year,” said Wilson “It takes five people on a team to get to where we are.”