The Road to The Dome: Varsity Football Beats Dubuque Hempstead

For more pictures, visit our Flickr.

The end of the regular season has come, and the Cougars have advanced to the state playoffs for the 22nd time. The varsity team ended the season with a record of 7-2. Both the freshman and sophomore teams have concluded their seasons with records of 6-3 and 6-2, respectively. 

With the lights of Kingston shining down on them, the Cougars trailed Dubuque Hempstead to a 41-0 win. The Cougars were led by sophomore Vinny Gianforte who contributed 197 passing yards, senior Donovan Slick-Driscoll with 131 rushing yards, senior Michael Mulherin with 87 receiving yards and senior Ryker Stelling with 10.5 total tackles. 

It was also a special night for the seniors involved in fall athletics. Football, cheerleading, dance team, boys’ and girls’ cross country and boys’ golf all shared a senior night in-between the sophomore and varsity games. 

Coming off of last week’s win, the Cougars have been placed in Pod A along with Dowling Catholic, Davenport West and Waukee NW. Kennedy will host Waukee NW on Friday, Oct. 28.

The team’s end of the regular season marked the start of the road to the University of Northern Iowa’s Dome. 

“We have to focus on one game at a time. It will be a great experience for all of us. There is no other experience like it,” said Slick-Driscoll. 

Slick-Driscoll says he has confidence in his team moving closer to Friday night’s game.

“I think that the overall attitude of the team is to come out on Friday night and dominate [in] all aspects of the game.” 

Waukee NW is currently ranked ninth in class 5A and has a regular season record of 5-4. Tickets for Friday’s game need to be purchased online and punch passes or any other athletic ticket pass will not be valid. You can purchase your tickets here.