Mini Dance Marathon Comes to Kennedy April 8

@crkennedyhigh on Instagram

Kennedy students participate in Mini Dance Marathon.

Kennedy’s Key Club invites all Cougar students, staff and friends to celebrate the 10th annual Mini Dance Marathon to raise money for cancer patients and research at the University of Iowa Children’s Hospital. 

The event will be held in Kennedy’s cafeteria and patio Friday, April 8, from 5 to 8 p.m. Tickets can be purchased for $5 through the QR code on the posters around the school, or by clicking the link here.

At the dance students can purchase “waves” to help fund cancer research. Each wave is $1. Concessions will also be sold during the dance. Profits from both the “waves” and concessions will go toward the financial goal. 

Mini Dance Marathon’s 2022 theme is “Making Waves” as Kennedy hopes to help wipe out childhood cancer. Key Club members held a bake sale, caroled and sold stickers and socks. The money raised by these events throughout the school year will go toward the overall financial goal of $1,000. 

“While $1,000 may not seem like a lot of money, it can help with the little things that make a big impact,” Hilary Nekvinda, Key Club staff sponsor, said. “The money could be used to purchase a thermometer for a family that needs to track their child’s temperature closely, or help pay for parking for a family while at the hospital, or even for fun things, like an ice cream treat for siblings. Every little bit makes an impact.”

The Key Club planned multiple activities for the Mini Dance Marathon. Anyone who attends will be able to dance to music and take pictures by the photo wall. There will be water activities and you will be able to tie-dye shirts. Other activities include a Mario Kart tournament and giant Jenga. 

“The dance is organized and run by students. It is a real representation of what high school students can accomplish and how they can impact their community,” Nekvinda said. 

Kennedy’s Mini Dance Marathon is a smaller version of what the University of Iowa does to raise money for cancer research and patients. 

The University of Iowa Dance Marathon is a student organization, like Key Club, that provides year-round support to youth cancer patients and their families. 

The University of Iowa’s event is a 24-hour Dance Marathon where students assemble to celebrate child survivors and remember the children who passed away throughout the year. Dancers try to remain standing for the full 24 hours without caffeine. University of Iowa’s dance was held Feb. 4 and 5. 

“The success of the [Mini Dance Marathon] relies on Kennedy’s students coming and supporting this peer organized fundraiser. We hope to see you there,” said Nekvinda.