Time to Dust Off The Pom-Poms

Merideth Langton

Cheerleaders smile at the camera during the 2021 Homecoming Parade.

Tryouts are around the corner for students interested in joining the Kennedy Cheer Team. 

Clinics will take place on March 28 from 5-7 p.m. and March 29 from 5-6:30 p.m. to teach students the required routine. Both clinics will be held in the Upper IMC. Traditionally, students practice the fight song and a few cheers, which are chosen by the coach.

The official date of tryouts is March 31 in the choir room from 5-7 p.m.

Interested students must fill out the Google Form linked below. The form asks about students’ general information (name, grade, contact information), which teams students are interested in trying out for, students’ existing relationships with teams they are already a part of, and how the student can help in the upcoming season.

According to the Iowa Cheerleading Association, athletes have to follow a set of guidelines to attend the cheerleading clinics. These guidelines include that the athlete’s hair needs to be put up and out of their face, since they will need to see what what are doing while practicing. No jewelry is allowed, along with  false nails. Students’ nails need to be trimmed. The last set of rules relates to dress code. Students must wear tennis shoes, a white shirt and dark colored pants or shorts. Wearing tank tops is not allowed during the clinics. 

For more information, contact Coach Shelby Patterson at [email protected], [email protected] or 319-640-6623. Students who text or call must state their name.

Those who want to join the Cheer Team need to complete the Google Form below.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfi4x6-gOzrtsBZwOiPv8Zf1IVryrmDRBV6YwSebpwycyojvQ/viewform