Sophomore Maria Kaiser Set to Spend a Year in Germany

Sophomore Maria Kaiser (right) receives the CBYX Scholarship certificate from German teacher Milaena Reade (left).
Aanya Tripathi

Sophomore Maria Kaiser received the Congress Bundestag Youth Exchange Scholarship (CBYX) in March 2024 to live in Germany for a year. She’ll spend her junior year in the country with a host family and attend high school there.

“I was thrilled when I got the news that I was selected for this program. I’m so excited to spend the next year there and explore more about Germany,” Kaiser said.

The CBYX scholarship is awarded to passionate high school students who want to immerse themselves in a culture and learn a foreign language. This program allows Kaiser to have firsthand experience with German culture.

“The submission process for this scholarship was a challenge. I had to write several essays about why I’m interested in traveling to Germany and what I look for in a host family,” Kaiser said. “It is great that they try to match each applicant with the perfect host family, ”

Kaiser received a full scholarship for this program, covering all her international transportation costs, transportation costs in Germany, medical bills, insurance, tuition and academic materials if required. Lodging and meals will be provided by the host family.

“Hundreds of applications are submitted for this program. Each year, they choose approximately 75 applicants for the scholarship,” German teacher Milaena Reade said. “Maria is the first student selected from Kennedy High School.”

Due to the difference in academic requirements between U.S. and German schools, Kaiser’s German courses will not transfer to Kennedy course requirements for graduation. The CBYX suggests completing courses during the summer or before departure to Germany. However, some participants receive college credit for the German language skills acquired on the program.

“I’ll have to take courses like Gym and U.S. History online through Edgenuity. The office also suggested I take Language Arts and other courses online while I’m in Germany,” Kaiser said. “It’ll obviously be hard to manage these classes and the ones I take in Germany,”

Dates vary year-to-year but Kaiser is expected to depart sometime in July this year and return in July or August next year. 

“I think the biggest experience and lessons Maria will learn from this exchange program is learning how to live alone and in a new environment,” Reade said. “I think she’ll struggle a lot with homesickness but the people she meets and builds relationships with will stick with her for a long time.”