Kennedy Class of 1980 Donates to the Home Economics Program

Merideth Langton

Principal Jason Kline and Associate Principal Jess Johnson are presented the check outside the school.

Nolyn Melsha, Writer

Kennedy’s former class of 1980 created a fundraiser to benefit Kennedy. The class raised $43,447 which was designated to make updates and improvements to the Home Economics area of the school. 

During 2020, the former Kennedy class of 1980 was supposed to gather for their 40th reunion. Due to COVID-19 and the derecho, the class of 1980’s reunion was delayed to 2021. As part of the reunion, they came up with “OneUpJFK” in order to challenge the next class that would celebrate their 40th reunion.

Due to the delay of the 1980 reunion, the class of 1981’s reunion was cancelled and they have not been able to participate in the challenge yet. In 2022, the class of 1982 will celebrate their 40th reunion and be challenged to raise more money than the class of 1980. The “OneUpJFK” fundraiser will provide the essential tools to the next class so choose where their funds will go.

“OneUpJFK” organizers, Cathy Thompson and Marla Tonn, presented the check to Principle Jason Kline in November, 2021. They hope Kennedy alumni will continue to donate money to Kennedy on their 40th reunion to help improve their alma mater. 

“Think of what can be accomplished if each class can give back to Kennedy High School 40 years after graduation” said Thompson.