Dealing with Grief

Jami Martin-Trainor

The white board outside of Chantelle Mobberley’s office at Kennedy.

This year, many Kennedy students have had to deal with loss. Whether that be from a family member, a loved teacher, or a romantic partner, suffering has hit almost every student this year. Because of this, Chantelle Mobberley, therapist at Kennedy High School, has offered some advice on how to deal with loss as a student.

“Coping skills really depend on the student,” Mobberley said. “People are all very different and because of that I have to understand where a student is within the loss, understanding of themselves and the event, and coping skills they are currently using.”

It’s important to remember that there is no single way to deal with grief. It impacts everyone differently and can really only be properly dealt with on a case-by-case basis. That being said, there are coping mechanisms that can help students who are going through tough times.

“Healthy coping skills include remembering the person by writing a letter on what you miss about them, what they meant to you, and what the loss means to them,” Mobberley said. “Some people do not want to be reminded of the loss and they will avoid thinking about it. Depending on the situation, this is okay, because we all grieve differently.”

There are also resources that Kennedy provides to help students who are struggling, or who just need to talk.

“Kennedy has counselors available to help with challenges they are facing or words of wisdom to help during trying times. They are a great support team,” Mobberley said.

The most important thing to understand is that there is always someone willing to help. No matter what is happening, there is a person who will be willing to talk about what is going on.

“Loss is hard on everyone. There is no right or wrong way to do it. There are healthy ways of coping just as much as there are unhealthy coping skills. There is help out there, it does not make someone weak or crazy,” Mobberley said.