Equal Opportunity

Jami Martin-Trainor

The ACT website, which offers students information about registration and scores.

Years ago in the fall of 2014, a GEAR UP Grant was awarded to the Iowa college student aid commission, which totaled to $22 million. The Grant’s goal was to increase the number of students prepared to enter and succeed in college. This year, the program is providing completely free ACT’s to all juniors, along with free study materials and study sessions.

“The GEAR UP program is providing funding for each Junior to take the ACT on Feb. 20. This step is to ensure all GEAR UP students have access to this important exam and can add another tool to assist in their path to college access,” GEAR UP Coordinator, Laurie Mead said.

Although the ACT is a great way to help students get into college, the GEAR UP program has several other methods of preparation for students too. 

“Our services also include tutoring, mentoring, college visits, college and career exploration, ACT/SAT preparation and scholarship, and financial literacy education,” Mead said. 

The class of 2020 had been given this great opportunity for success. The varied resources given to them is sure to change lives, and give students equal opportunities to live a successful life.