Vol. 51 Issue 2: Staff Editorial

Many students wake up in the morning knowing that the day ahead of them is busy. For some it’s only one day, for others, every single day it’s a challenge to fit their extracurriculars in 24 hours.

At the beginning of each year, in every single class, teachers claim to understand that students have busy schedules, and a life outside of school. They insist that it isn’t their intention to crowd you with homework. Yet soon enough, you start having homework in every single class. It may seem like bad luck, but it’s not bad luck if it happens to every student on multiple nights.

Some nights I don’t get home until 9 p.m.. At which point, I get my homework done as quickly as possible. There have been many nights this school year where I don’t get to bed until after midnight. I also get up at 5:30 a.m.. I’m also supposed to get 8-10 hours of sleep each night. Clearly, with the way things are, this is impossible for me and countless other students.

My suggestion? Create a system. Assign homework to be done on a certain day, give students the work ahead of time. It’s the student’s fault if he/she procrastinates.

It’s not the teacher’s fault they assign homework. Assigning homework is too entrenched in the educational system to be removed. However, there’s a problem with the system when students are struggling to get sufficient sleep.

It’s time for significant change, students are barely hanging on to sleep, and relying on the weekends to make up sleep is a dangerous thing to count on students for. Treat us like our sleep matters more than a worksheet.

APPROVED BY 9/9 EDITORIAL BOARD MEMBERS