2 Reviewers Say Bravo to Cast of Young Frankenstein

The cast of Young Frankenstein the Musical, April 2017.

Kennedy Profile Yearbook

Kennedy Profile Yearbook

Lydia Kilgore and Lauren Kach

Kennedy Profile Yearbook
Young Dr. Frankenstein sings his new creation to life, as he hopes the treacherous monster comes to life.

Lydia Kilgore Reviewer #1: Kennedy  Theatre’s production of “Young Frankenstein” was well done, full of German accents, romance, unimaginable friendships, and much more. I went to the 7 p.m. showing on April 22, arriving around 6:45. The line was out the door and I had about a 7 to 10 minute wait in line. It was well worth it, though!

As soon as I walked into the theater, there were people ready to direct me to my seat, which made finding it a lot easier. Right at 7 the lights dimmed, the directors made a few remarks, and then the theater went black while the pit played before the curtain opened.

The show reflected the adventures of Frederick Frankenstein (Lincoln Klopfenstein) as he traveled to Transylvania Heights following the death of his grandfather, Victor Von Frankenstein (Alex Young), a world renounced mad scientist known for making monsters, to collect his inheritance of the castle his grandfather left to him. Along the way, Frederick formed friendships with the hunchback Igore (Cael Jones), the mysterious house maid Frau Blücher (Maryn Devorak), and a more romantically involved friendship with his assistant, the yodeling Inga (Kennedy Wilson).

Throughout, Frederick made decisions regarding his heritage from keeping up the family business, to simply accepting his family name.

I thought that the production was definitely worth seeing. The casting was fantastic. Each actor gave their characters something special. For a high school production, the acting and the vocals were phenomenal. There were a couple of PG-13 parts that might have been a bit much for some of the younger audience members there, but the majority of us got a kick out of it.

I give “Young Frankenstein” a 10 out of 10. I can’t wait to see what Kennedy Theater has in store in the future.

Kennedy Profile Yearbook
The costumes, colors, and staging were impressive.

Lauren Kach, Reviewer #2:

The tragic, but hilarious musical held the audience’s attention as they told the story about the young Dr. Frankenstein, a man who followed the family tree by making his own monster.

The musical focused on deception and lies, while still making crude comedy. It was perfect for any adult or student — though the younger kids in attendance may have had to plug their ears.

The music was catchy, but sometimes with the actors’ thick accents (for the play’s time period and for the area in which the characters lived) made it hard to understand. Otherwise, I was singing the songs to myself long after I left.

The actors really got into character and made the characters come to life. The choreography was impressive and the actors were in tune with the beat. In all, the director did an excellent job on casting and organizing scenes.

Props and backgrounds also were impressive. They really set the scene and made you feel as if you were back in time. They nailed the colors for the setting, and the colors of the actors’  costumes complimented the colors of the scenery.

I felt that the musical was really good all together. Although it was  long, it still held my attention throughout its three hours.