Review: Perks of Being a Wallflower

Review: Perks of Being a Wallflower

Now on DVD, The Perks of Being a Wallflower tells the story of Charlie, an incoming freshman who’s looking to turn things around after some terrible moments in his life. This is not your typical comedic and fantasy high school film, but rather a movie very accurately depicting some intense struggles high schoolers face like fitting in, troubles at home, and relationships. It’s an amazing movie, but it’s also painful and sometimes hard to watch.

To start, the actors are all believable and really understand their characters they’re portraying. No acting stood out as bad, but some characters were a bit underdeveloped and I wish I could have seen more of these characters. A huge standout is Emma Watson, who plays a senior named Sam, and befriends Charlie, Logan Lerman, along with another senior named Patrick, played by Ezra Miller. This trio of Sam, Patrick, and Charlie is the main reason why the movie all works so well; their chemistry pulls the plot along even when it gets a bit dull is some spots.

My one problem with the script was that I wished it could have included more scenes from the book, but unfortunately that might have went to an ‘R’ rating, and wouldn’t have been able to reach its target audience. The movie did very well with the script that was written for it, and again, the acting was the main aspect pulling it all through.

I highly recommend this movie to all teenagers currently in high school, as you may find things you can relate to, and it sends the positive message that you are not alone. It’s truly one of the best movies of 2012 in my opinion, as it’s something completely different from many of the high school movies you have seen. It proves that high school isn’t always fun and exciting, and shows that there are many struggles that go along with it. It also spreads how powerful and necessary friends are in your life, as well as family bonds, especially during times when you feel so alone. The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a strong and captivating film with excellent acting and a strong story.