This Week’s Forecast: Frozen Jr.

Maggie Talbott-Malone

The cast of frozen at the play preview.

Jasmine Hite, Writer

For the first time in ever, Kennedy High School presents Frozen Jr. 

Frozen Jr. will be performed in the Kennedy Auditorium on December 5, 6, and 12 at 5:00 p.m. and on December 7 at 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. Their last shows are on December 13 at 5:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. 

Theatre is a great way to connect with the community. Kennedy Highschool is bringing Frozen to life with Frozen Jr. the musical. The musical introduces kids to the fun and creative nature of theater.

“I think theatre is a kind of a powerful education tool for several reasons. It requires teamwork, communication, collaboration. But it also is an opportunity for kids to take those skills that they don’t often get to use in the classroom. And again, use them in a collaborative way to put together a big cohesive story, using their various talents and abilities,” Nick Hayes, the theatre director for Kenndy, said.

The musical tells the story of two sisters, Anna and Elsa, who explore the world around them and along the way, they meet new friends. They discover their differences and help others in need. Anna has been separated most of her life from her sister because Elsa felt that by isolating herself, she was protecting her family. The two sisters reconnect through the tragic loss of their parents.

After weeks of hard work, Frozen Jr. opened to the public on the 5th of December.

The students spend an average of three to six hours a day on the musical, depending on their roles. And it takes a lot of effort and motivation for them to learn all of the parts.

“[The hardest part was] probably learning new choreography and music because it’s hard to learn new things,” Taylor Whidden, fr., said. “The choreography is kind of complicated [compared] to what I am used to.”

The commitment to the show depends on the student’s role. Amadeus Borchardt is a senior at Kennedy who plays the role of Kristof. His time commitment is based on what scenes they are working on.

“[The hardest part was] our opening dance number because it was the first thing that we learned. I’ve been dancing show choir all year, but we didn’t have a musical for our first play this year. We had an actual stage play, so I was getting back into doing that stuff. So it was a little bit harder for me,” Borchardt said.

The play is a good way to meet new people and be involved at Kennedy. 

“[My favorite part is] being able to produce a show that turns out well at the end is really nice, and also making new friends,” Whidden said.

In the play, the school was not allowed to change the script, but the cast added their own twist and turns to make it their own. 

“The script that is provided to us by the writes holding company in Disney theatrical. It is what it is and I can’t change what they give us,” Hayes said,“ It’s a little condensed version of what you saw in the movie, and it has songs from the Broadway version of Frozen.”

The cast added their own “flair” to their characters and used creativity to make their costumes. The leading roles’ costumes closely resemble the fictional characters in the movie.