SMART Time Gone Forever

Joel Dillman

Students complete extra work in study hall.

After four years, all SMART-related efforts have been cut out of the daily schedule. Students no longer have a built-in time to make up work during the school day.

Students remember SMART Time as a 30-minute stretch between second and third hour when they could go to a classroom of their choice to get help wherever they needed. Older students remember SMART Lunch, a 60-minute lunch period between third and fourth hour when teachers offered two 30-minute sessions for students to review material.

Neither of these SMART sessions have continued into the 2019-2020 school year. Students have been witnessed complaining about it in classes.

“It’s annoying that we can’t go make up things in classes that we miss,” Jonah Hallam, so., said. “We can’t do test retakes, and stuff like that.”

Other students aren’t as disappointed about the elimination of SMART Time.

“I’m kind of okay with it because there were all these people not using it,” Ty Schriner, so, said. “A lot of people, including me, didn’t even get help during smart time.”

Jason Kline himself explained why SMART-related activities were removed going into 2019-2020’s year.

“We didn’t see much impact academically so we decided to go back to adding that time to the classroom,” Kline said.

The removal of SMART Time has affected the daily schedule. The extra time was distributed throughout the day, and some of it went toward making passing time five minutes long instead of four. The absence of SMART Time also makes it easier for teachers to plan their days because they don’t have to worry about yet another class period.

On the other hand, students no longer have a built-in time to make up missed work or tests. Students now have to find time outside of the school day, or during study hall, to do make-up work and homework.

“It feels like the only time we can actually get extra work done is with study hall,” Tavian Capps, so., said.