Kennedy Torch

Kennedy Torch

Laugh and Fall in Love with Lara Jean

Lock screen of Lara Jean and Peter in the film.

Jami Martin-Trainor, Writer

If you’re a teenager in America with Netflix, you’ve probably at least heard of the new Netflix film To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before. At the end summer this rom-com was released and took the world by storm. Whether because of our infamous Peter Kavinsky or the adorable romance that blooms between our two main characters, this film has become a favorite of many.

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before shows the relationship between Lara Jean Covey, the shy and socially awkward student, and Peter Kavinsky, the popular and flirtatious athlete (a popular trope, but it works). The two characters start faking a relationship for mutual gain, but as the story progresses, the two realize that the feelings they have for each other are real.

Many say that TATBILB is just a normal rom-com that has been done before and honestly, they’re not wrong. There are a lot of themes in TATBILB that are seen in many teen romances, but that’s what a teen romance is. Teens don’t watch a rom-com for its rich plot that makes you question your existence afterwards, you watch it to have that heart-warming feeling as you watch two characters fall head-over-heels for each other and to feel relief when the mean girls get exposed for who they really are. It’s not supposed to be thought provoking, it’s supposed to be cute, and TATBILB is one of the cutest movies I have ever seen.

The romance and chemistry that the actor and actress have with each other on screen is adorable, and their scenes together are romantic enough that a viewer can forget the story is fiction.

The movie also has beautiful lighting and looks almost as if there’s a filter over it, which adds to the somewhat retro aesthetic that the movie carries throughout its runtime. The mood throughout the movie is constant too, and it doesn’t jump from serious to light in a short amount of time.

To All the Boys is a film that I would certainly watch again. It has moments that make viewers want to have a dream-like teenage romance. It executed the classic rom-com perfectly, and I would recommend any romantics out there to definitely check it out.

Jami Martin-Trainor, Writer

Heyo! I'm Jami Martin-Trainor and this year I'm a sophomore at Kennedy. I'm so excited for this year and all of the opportunities that come with. I'm a...