An additional twenty minutes

Many people of the Kennedy Student body thought that school starting at 7:55 a.m. this school year would be a tough adjustment, and for many, that is very much true. Sometimes I arrive to school around five to ten minutes late and I have to go to the attendance window to receive a pass. On every occasion the line of people curves around the whole attendance area. So I asked myself, if I had an extra five minutes would I make it to school on time? For those of you who aren’t already informed, class will be starting 10 minutes earlier after spring break, and also ending 10 minutes later at the end of the regular school day. The school day will now be starting at 7:45 a.m. and will finish at 2:55 p.m.

I understand our district has decided we are on total school hours instead of the 180 days of school in the past, but I still feel like the district could’ve approached the situation differently. I’m sure I speak for most, if not all of the students when I say that this isn’t the best way to get in the required hours. There are various other ways that students would prefer over this implementation. Adding one or two days at the end of the school year would be much easier in my eyes and preferred by most students.

Starting school 10 minutes earlier will discourage students to take early bird courses since they would have to wake up very early. Other teachers who teach early bird said they would not change their schedules any earlier. Before making this decision the district should’ve contemplated the negative impact the new schedule could have.