Kennedy hosts state speech

Performers from all around the state flooded through Kennedy’s doors last Saturday, March 14, to compete in the Individual State Speech competition. Twenty four out of 28 performers a part of the Kennedy speech team received division I ratings for their performances.

All State nominations were released Monday and the performers who will be representing Kennedy include Grant Barton, sr., in prose, Afnan Elsheikh, so., in original oratory, Fatima Elsheikh, sr., in acting, and Myah McCoy, sr., in acting. Students who were nominated for non-performing were Grant Barton in after dinner speaking and Fatima Elsheikh in original oratory.

Speech team coach and teacher Melissa Osborn said the season overall went very well despite the many bumps in the road and conflicts that they had. The students were very responsible and they “stepped up to the plate,” Osborn said.

Osborn also commented that hosting is a huge responsibility and takes a lot of planning ahead. They had a big responsibility hosting such a big event, and it was a success. Students not only hosted, but also participated in the competition. This year’s competition had a total of 1,124 performers, over 300 volunteers, and over 150 schools at Kennedy.

“I just want to say a huge thanks to everybody here at Kennedy who helped with the contest whether they were a volunteer, or a teacher, or an administrator, who helped make the day successful,” Osborn said. “Our parents were awesome. We got lots of compliments on how great our day went, so just huge kudos to everyone that helped. It was awesome.”

Elsheikh, one of the students who both volunteered and was a performer at the competition, said that working with the team for this event and getting two All-State nominations was a “…a perfect way to end my senior year and my career…it is both honoring and exciting.”

“Speech is awesome and I think everyone should do it,” Elsheikh said.