The Student News Source Of Kennedy High School

Kennedy Torch

Kennedy Torch

Kennedy Torch

Hy-Vee hires

Hy-Vee+hires+

Whether you’re pushing in carts, or stocking the shelves, Hy-Vee offers a lot of jobs to students. Kennedy students have taken full advantage of Hy-Vee’s willingness to hire.

Student employees say that Hy-Vee is a good place to work because it has flexible scheduling options for those students involved in activities.

“I chose Hy-Vee because they worked with my schedule,” Mackenzie Stump, sr., said.  Stump works as a cashier at the Oakland Road Hy-Vee.

During the school year, working can become difficult when students have homework and school activities.

“I don’t work during the week, I only work on weekends,” Stump said.

Limiting work hours to weekends is an option for time managing. It creates some separation from school and work. There are other ways to reduce the workload stress. Parker Fifield, jr., takes on his hours during the week.

“During the school year I try to schedule my hours so I have time for homework, and I do my homework on weekends,” Fifield said.  Fifield works 20-25 hours a week in the Courtesy Department in the Edgewood Road Hy-Vee.

Working at Hy-Vee can ensure that some classmates and friends work there too. Having a friend there to work with can make the time pass by a little faster, and make it more comfortable.

“I like working with my friends because you already know people there when you start, so its not awkward, or hard for you to start,” Fifield said.

Finding a good job can be hard for students still in high school, but Hy-Vee’s atmosphere has drawn in a lot of Kennedy students to work there.

Killian Magee, jr., works in the Chinese Department in the Edgewood Road Hy-Vee.

“I like to work there because I get to see my friends there and I like the environment,” Magee said.