Dealing with immune diseases

Dealing with immune diseases

Rheumatoid Arthritis, ITP, and Lupus, three different diseases, one common student. Amelia Miller, so., deals with two on a daily basis and now risks the threat of the third.

Miller, an active Kennedy student, was diagnosed with ITP (Immune Thrombocytopenia) in the Fall of 2011. ITP is a disease which makes antibodies against the body’s blood platelets, and platelet producing cells. It can cause small red and purple spots on the skin, large bruises on the arms and legs, and also frequent nosebleeds.

A common disease that can follow ITP is RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) a disease that along with platelets attacks healthy tissue. RA can cause swelling and inflammation in joints, making daily activities painful. “I was diagnosed with RA like, three or four weeks ago,” Miller said. The new symptoms of both diseases have forced Miller to change certain daily activities, she now parks in the horseshoe every morning to lower her walking distance.

“My doctors think I have Lupus,” said Miller. Lupus, a disease that for unknown reasons causes the immune system to attack healthy cells and tissue. If diagnosed, this would be the 3rd in under a year.