Categories:

Shining on Stage: Seniors in Kennedy’s Theater Department

Singing "Hakuna Matata," senior Samuel Larson makes his first appearance as the grown-up version of Simba.
Singing “Hakuna Matata,” senior Samuel Larson makes his first appearance as the grown-up version of Simba.
Piper White

It is nice to know that the Kennedy Theatre Department has a sense of humor in a world full of stress and seriousness. Especially after seeing the spring musical—about putting people into meat pies of all things. 

The Kennedy Theatre Department puts on three performances a year that have been historically categorized as a fall play and two musicals in the winter and spring. This year, they performed “The Anxiety Project” in October, “The Lion King Jr.” in late November and early December and “Sweeney Todd School Edition” in April.

The theater department gives kids a chance to shine throughout their four years. Senior Sam Larson has been active in shows since his freshman year.

“I’ve played Mr. Boddy in Clue, Steve in Almost Maine, Young Rudolph and Charlie In A Box in Rudolph, Bruce in Matilda, Oliver in Puffs, ensemble in Beauty and the Beast, Amos in Chicago, Dylan, Neil, and Max in The Anxiety Project, Simba in Lion King and Anthony in Sweeney Todd” Larson said.

Seniors who participate throughout their high school career look forward to the directors choosing the spring musical. It is always an anticipated announcement.

“Anthony, it’s been a dream role of mine for a long time,” Larson said. “I was fortunate enough to see Sweeney Todd on Broadway and Jordan Fisher made me want to play Anthony even more than I already wanted to, and for my senior show we got to do Sweeney Todd. I was super excited to perform and play Anthony with a live audience watching.”

It never starts with your dream role, it always takes hard work to get there.

“I’ve made a tremendous amount of growth throughout my four years of theater,” Larson said. “As a performer and as a person. It’s given me something I want to continue doing for the rest of my life.”

There are always opportunities in the theatre department, but the benefits of the program are different for everyone.

“I’ve been able to be more confident in myself and take criticism as an actor and overall just improve with my characters,” senior Kenna McHenry, who portrayed Mrs. Lovett in the latest show, said.

Creating a character is difficult, it takes practice, feedback and the ability to use said feedback on stage.

“Being able to talk to people after the shows and getting feedback as well as seeing loved ones. It makes everything worth it,” Larson said.

The rewards do not come easy. Rehearsals run for six to eight weeks everyday after school andt attendance is important. Actors are expected to memorize and create their characters on their own time and be ready to go during rehearsals.

“I would say [my favorite part of performing is] getting to sing my own songs, have on stage connections with other actors and make my characters as creative as possible,” McHenry said. “This is my first lead role and it’s been very stressful at times but the work pays off 100 percent.”

For those in the Kennedy theater department, acting and performing is extremely rewarding.

“It can be a place where someone can express themselves and do the things they love,” McHenry said. “It’s also a great way to make friends and grow as a performer.”

Donate to Kennedy Torch
$215
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Kennedy High School - IA. Your contribution will go towards the purchase of a new lens for our photographers.