So Long Iowa, Hello Ireland

Isaac White

Freshman Kieran Glessner, plays the trombone on the field.

What a better way to start spring break than a trip to Ireland? Kennedy marching band students get to spend part of their break in Ireland alongside marching band students from surrounding high schools.

Kennedy is known to take students on trips out of the country in the past years. Foreign language classes are not the only group of students who get to enjoy the pleasure of a new landscape. Past out-of-state band trips were California and Florida.

Before they could attend, students needed to pay a hefty $4,000 fee. The fee covers plane tickets, hotel rooms and a few tourist attractions. 

The band department did go through fundraising to save money for the department. They participated in selling a variety of goods such as food, flowers and wreaths. The Ireland trip was postponed for a couple of years, which gave upperclassmen an upper-hand to engage in more fundraising activities throughout the previous years.

On Sunday, March 13, the group of more than 200 students and directors will meet at 8 a.m. at Linn-Mar High School.

Their journey will start with a ride via charter buses to Chicago, Illinois. After their arrival in Chicago, they will board a flight to Dublin, Ireland.

In Dublin, the students will play in the St. Patrick’s Day Parade. Dublin is only the first destination for the group. They will travel to various other places including the cities of Belfast and Limerick. In Limerick, the students will visit the Limerick International Band Festival and enjoy the festivities. 

Historical castles and museums are just a few of the sites the group will visit during their expedition.

Exploring new land can always be nerve-racking. Lily Cahalan has never flown on an airplane, been on a trip without her family or left the U.S. Cahalan will not let her fears get in the way of her enjoying her break in Ireland.

I’m really looking forward to visiting new places and getting to do it with some really great friends,” Cahalan said.