Kennedy Torch

Kennedy Torch

All Eyes on Us.

Paul+Pate%2C+Iowa+Secretary+of+State%2C+visited+with+students+enrolled+in+AP+United+States+Government+while+running+for+reelection+to+discuss+youth+involvement+in+politics+and+the+importance+of+the+Straw+Poll+that+took+place+throughout+the+district.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

All Eyes on Us.

Paul Pate, Iowa Secretary of State, visited with students enrolled in AP United States Government while running for reelection to discuss youth involvement in politics and the importance of the Straw Poll that took place throughout the district.

Jason Kline

Jason Kline

Jason Kline

Anna Reinhart, News Editor

Few students were able to vote in the 2018 Midterm elections. Those students were expected to know what they were voting for when choosing a candidate, but why is it important for those who aren’t eligible to vote yet to also have an understanding of the candidates?

“It’s important for people of all ages to be aware of what goes on in our country, and with our government,” Zach Johansen, sr., said. Johansen is a student that had the opportunity to meet with Paul Pate just before the midterm election.

Paul Pate spoke to those in the AP United States Government class to emphasize the importance on youth participation and engagement in politics, both local and national.

“I just think we need to pay a little more attention and dig a little deeper,” Johansen said. “We just need to want more information.”

Johansen’s interest in politics sprouted from his enrollment in AP Gov, and it has made him more informed about the political system and current events. He’s been taught from birth to take a look at both sides before making judgements, as that is the best way to make an informed decision.

Pate’s visit to the Kennedy classroom sparked interest in several students in the class about the Secretary of State’s role in Iowa and the power the current youth will have in future elections.

“The young people now who are going to be eligible to vote in the next few years have a lot to say,” Kiley Sain, sr., said. “Once we start using our voice to speak on the issues important to us, we will have a lot of strength and control in elections in the future.”

Sain believes that the young generation will soon begin to have a lot more power in elections, and results will show that.

“There will hopefully be some evidence of change in the elections as we get older,” Sain said. “We just have to get out there and vote, all of us.”

Anna Reinhart, Opinion Editor

My name is Anna Reinhart and I am a senior at Kennedy. I have been a member of the journalism program at Kennedy all four years of high school and have...