Tech for 2000 (Students)?

Alyssa Friedley

Jordyn Cory and Elizabeth Frost using technology in the classroom.

“We recognize that there’s a tremendous value on being able to access things online,” Kennedy High School principal Jason Kline said. “One-to-one is one computer, tablet, or laptop for each student.”

Kennedy is planning to do a one-to-one launch along with the other high schools in the district next year, such as Washington, Jefferson, and Metro.

“This type of program has the ability to improve learning, but it also has the possibility of harming learning. There’s been a lot of research that says for example that laptops in a classroom can be very distracting, and can have negative impacts on student learning,” Kline said.

Dana Melone, Psychology teacher at Kennedy, feels that this technology can improve student learning if teachers have time to experiment.

“I think it has the ability to improve student learning if done correctly, but I think in order to do something correctly teachers need to be given time to experiment and learn and find out what works for them and so there may be some bumps in the road,” Melone said.

Students at Kennedy think it will help get rid of the problem of not having enough computers at school for everyone.

“Sometimes, it seems there are not enough laptops to go around for all the classes,” Amber Pinter, so., said. “It will give them a way to do their homework, or study for something, or give them new ways of learning.”

The new source of technology will also help students who don’t have access at home, which makes it easier to complete assignments that require the internet.

“So much of what we do now is on Canvas, and yet some students have no access some students have lots of access, and so it’s one of those things that helps even the playing field.” Kline said, “It allows everyone to have access to computer-based learning, internet-based learning, things like that.”