Show choir kicks off with ‘Cocoa and Carols’

Photo provided by Kennedy Yearbook

Protege members at premiere night.

“You can catch us singing through the halls and see us wearing our jackets before competitions, this is show choir,” Abby Farrington, so., said.

Cocoa and Carols is coming up this Saturday, Dec. 9, at 10 a.m., 1 p.m. and 4 p.m.  Chanteurs, Protégé and Happiness will all perform.

Chanteurs is the youngest show choir at Kennedy containing only freshmen. Their first competition this season and as a Kennedy Show Choir group is early next year — Jan. 9 — at Prairie.

“It’s so exciting to have our first competition coming up so soon,” Chloe Ghandy, fr., said.

Protégé members are mostly sophomores and juniors, but occasionally there can be seniors in Protégé too.

“I was is Chanteurs as a freshman and Protégé as a sophomore, but this is my first year in Happiness and I have been loving it so far,” Lauren Beer jr., said. “I cannot wait to experience my first competition with this new, amazing group.”

Having a wide range of grades in Protégé “makes it way more fun because we make more friends than we did last year,” Farrington said.

Freshman who do well in Chanteurs may be given a chance to skip Protégé and go straight to Happiness, the top-level show choir group at Kennedy.

This year, Happiness choir has about 57 singers whose members are sophomores to seniors. The group started their season in early August with choreography camp, and they will end the season in March 2018 as they participate at nationals in Nashville. Happiness’ show choir “story” this year for the show choir is about Rip Van Winkle, a man that falls asleep for a long period of time and wakes up in the present day.