Graduation Party Happenings

A Photo Essay

Medals. Ashlynn laid out her graduation medals on a table in her sun porch for guests to view.

Hannah Ratzer

Hannah Ratzer, Writer

• Memories. Ashlynn asked her guests to share their favorite memories of their time together with her using colored sharpies and squares of paper, a trend I’ve been seeing at grad parties this year.

Hannah Ratzer

• Medals. Ashlynn laid out her graduation medals on a table in her sun porch for guests to view.

Hannah Ratzer

• Cupcakes. Ashlynn served gourmet cupcakes from Scratch in Cedar Falls for dessert, a guest favorite. Everyone I talked to seemed to love them. Ashlynn also served Jimmy John’s sandwiches, potato chips, cheesy potatoes, a cold noodle salad, and fruit.

Hannah Ratzer

• Dirt Cup. I choose to have a dirt cup cupcake. It was definitely the best cupcake I have ever had. It was super moist and the flavoring was amazing.

Hannah Ratzer

• Host and Guest. Ashlynn grabs some food mid party while talking to a guest.

Hannah Ratzer

• Sidewalk art. Walking up to Jayden’s house, her driveway featured sidewalk art by Audrea Alepra. Jayden will be attending UNI next year to dive.

Hannah Ratzer

• Achievements. Hannah and Conner shared their awards, achievements, statues, and medals, with their senior pictures hanging above in their dining room. They also each had a book of senior photos on the table for people to leave a message and sign.

Hannah Ratzer

• Volleyball Boys. Five boys, Curtis Ratzer, Finn Duffy, Alan Kim, Reid Foster, and Dane Popenhagen play volleyball in the Peterson’s backyard.

Hannah Ratzer

• Fresh Veggies. The Petersons served a vegetable tray containing peppers, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, and broccoli, with vegetable dip.

Hannah Ratzer

• Lunch. The Petersons served Jimmy John’s sandwiches, vegetables, fruit, chips and queso, and chicken skewers. My favorite were the strawberries which were especially delicious.

Hannah Ratzer

• Advice. Hannah and Conner asked guests to share advice or memories with them. Here, Anna Mickelson and Brooklyn Button begin to give advice.

Hannah Ratzer

• Dessert. For dessert the Petersons served mini fruit cookies and mini cheesecakes made by their great uncle. They were both delicious desserts.

Hannah Ratzer

• Socialize. Friends Venna Venkatesh and Shelby Cook sit on the porch swing, enjoying conversation and the great weather.

Hannah Ratzer

• Volleyball. The volleyball game has picked up with a lot of new players (including some girls). Here they attempt to organize their team for the next play.

Hannah Ratzer

• Grads. Senior pictures I collected as I hopped from party to party.

Hannah Ratzer

Graduation Season arrived, and with it graduation parties. Seniors commemorated their time in high school with pictures, food, and fun.  I decided to take pictures of these various graduation aspects in an attempt to show what a true grad party looked like. Each of the parties had excellent food (Jimmy John’s and gourmet cupcakes) and I really enjoyed getting outside to be in the great summer weather. These parties were a great way to socialize, hang out with friends, and send the grads off in a great way.

The first I attended was Ashlynn Averhoff’s which took place on early Saturday afternoon. Her party took place at her house deck and patio on a rather windy day. I ate lunch there and socialized with some of my friends before I proceeded to another afternoon graduation party. Jayden Lovell had her photos and achievements displayed inside her home, and a number of tables and chairs set up under a tent in her backyard where it was easy to enjoy the summer day. On Sunday, I attended (twins) Hannah and Connor Peterson’s party. Indoors, they had photos and achievements displayed. Outside, there was a volleyball game and bean bag toss set up for backyard guests.