Senior Editorial: Nathan Sheeley

Nathan Sheeley, Editor-in-Chief

Two years ago, I joined the journalism program in hopes of becoming a better writer, and I never thought I would be in the position I am today. The Torch has offered a unique opportunity for me and for the rest of the seniors by giving us the chance to participate in something bigger than ourselves through publishing our stories, opinions, and photographs. For me, however, this journalism journey has been all but orthodox, characterized by unexpected story assignments, stressful nights editing and designing, and hundreds of hours spent writing stories to share with the Kennedy community. I couldn’t be more proud of my fellow senior editors, Brooke, Jake, Madeline, and Taylor, who have worked with me over the last two years, and I’m overjoyed at the bright future the Kennedy journalism program beholds.

As cliché as it is, The Torch has truly changed my life for the better. From giving me the tools to succeed in college to teaching me how to be a better person, I have grown through this experience. I’m grateful to have had such a talented group of senior editors to work beside me, and appreciate all the hard work done by those who never earn proper recognition.

I have won awards and earned distinction for the things we have accomplished, and none of it could be possible without the opportunities given to me by The Torch. At the end of the day, it’s not going to be the decorations I received that I will remember, it will be the experience of working for the greatest journalism program in Iowa and collaborating with the best group of senior editors anyone could ask for.

The senior editors sharing their final thoughts on these pages are some of the most hardworking, charismatic people I have ever had the pleasure to work with and know, and I am forever thankful for the friendships and connections we have made as a result of the journalism program here at Kennedy. We don’t go through this stress and hard work for applause or for our own gratification, we do it because at the beginning of this journey, we truly believed we could leave The Torch and the Kennedy community in a better place than when we began, and I wholeheartedly believe that we have accomplished that task. Thank you, Kennedy.