The recruiting process

Recruiting is the term used for the process where college coaches add prospective student athletes to their roster each off-season. Students can be recruited at most colleges as long as they reach requirements. When you’re recruited you can be offered from a one year to a full ride scholarship or be recruited as a preferred walk on which means you don’t receive scholarship money.

“The difference between a scholarship and a walk-on is for a walk-on the coaches want you to play for them, but they either don’t have the scholarship there ready for your year, or they don’t see it at this time, but if you keep progressing we’ll give it to you. And then a scholarship can be offered for any amount,” Brinley Milbrath sr., said.

Knowing the types of scholarships that can be offered when your recruited helps with the process, but the main thing that gets you recruited is putting yourself out there and getting in contact with the college coaches.

“Basically if you know want to go to a college you contact the coach. It’s kind of like you just have to put on your best performance for every game because you never know if a college coach will be there”, Carly Langhurst sr., said.

College coaches can recruit players year round whether it’s in season or not. One of the rules the coaches have to follow is what’s called a “dead period” where they can’t contact student athletes directly, so they must go through the student’s high school coach or club coach.

“For different sports the time period for recruiting is different, but for volleyball you really want to be starting sophomore year, I say the earlier the better… a lot of people usually commit by their junior year,” Milbrath said.

The recruitment process can be longer and even more stressful if you’re recruited by more than one school. Most college coaches differ in how they want you to commit and the amount of time they give you to do it.

“Some coaches give you a deadline to decide, but it depends on the coach and how much they want you. Another thing that makes it stressful is the amount of colleges you go in visit,” Langhurst said.

Athletes and coaches receive benefits and non-benefits due to the recruiting process.

“A benefit from being recruited is well obviously you’re getting your education payed for, but you’re also playing the sport you love,” Milbrath said.