Categories:

Kennedy Orchestra to Host Fall Concert at End of October

Kennedy Symphony Orchestra performs Swan Lake at annual winter concert.
River Borgerding

Symphony and String Orchestra students are performing their fall concert on Oct. 29 in the Kennedy Auditorium. 

Songs “Dance Diabolique” “Reverie” and “Ghost Carnival” by musicians Jared Spears, James Corigliano and Erik Morales respectively are going to be played by Kennedy’s Symphony Orchestra. Orchestra director Joseph Mayner chose spooky songs, each with unique styles to fit the concert’s Halloween theme.

“The audience should look out for all the different styles of playing our musicians are displaying. To be ‘dynamic,’ ever-changing and exciting is always the goal in a music ensemble. Try to envision the story that goes along with each piece,” Mayner said. 

Both Mayner and the students agree that performing is rewarding after all the work they put into learning the pieces. 

As always, performing with my musicians is a lot of fun,” Mayner said. “Really, though, working with musicians to bring out the character and style that is unique to each piece is the most fun part of teaching music. Playing one piece one way, and another piece completely differently keeps shaking it up and keeps teaching and learning exciting!”

The audience may spot vampires or witches playing, as the students will be dressed in costumes for the concert. 

“It’s not the most serious concert we will be performing so I think people can expect a bit of a silly show with great music,” junior cello player Stephanie Clark said. 

The freshman group, String Orchestra will begin the concert with three songs and will be followed by the Symphony Orchestra. The concert will begin at 7 p.m. and spectators are encouraged to park in Kennedy’s North Lot for the best accessibility to the auditorium.

$215
$750