Categories:

Homecoming Week Puts Kennedy Student Life on Display

Junior Ellison Pierce runs the ball during the annual Powderpuff game.
Anyah Stoppelmoor

Homecoming is a tradition in high schools across the United States where students gather together in fancy attire and dance to music. At Kennedy, there are a variety of activities during homecoming week to get the students into the spirit of homecoming.

These activities include a spirit week where students are encouraged to dress up following the pre-planned outfits, planned by Kennedy’s Student Government. This school year’s themes took place during the week of Sept. 23-27. The themes were “Jersey Out” on Monday, “Teacher/Student Clothing Swap” on Tuesday, “Camo Day” on Wednesday, “Spirit Out” on Thursday and on Friday, the day of the dance, the theme was “Country vs. Country Club.”  

On Wednesday, Sept. 25, Kennedy held the Homecoming Parade where sports teams and clubs walked around the neighborhood surrounding the school with signs and posters promoting their activities. Activities had different themes for their floats as well as candy or small items to hand out to the children watching. 

Immediately following the Homecoming Parade was the Powderpuff game. The Powderpuff game involves a team of senior girls playing flag football against a team of junior girls. Each team was coached by players on the football team in the respective grade levels. The junior’s team won against the senior’s team.

The homecoming football game took place on Thursday, Sept. 26, where Cougars played against Iowa City High at Kingston with the dance team and the band performing at halftime. Kennedy lost to Iowa City High, 42-43.

Wrapping up the week was the Homecoming dance which took place in the West Gym at Kennedy from 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. In the main gym, students could pay for professional photos as well buy snacks from the snack station. 

Homecoming week provides a sense of community for Kennedy students, allowing freshmen to get into the spirit of the school for the first time as upperclassmen enjoy continuing traditions.

$215
$750