Categories:

Student Section Editique: The DOs and DON’Ts of a High School Student Section

Kennedy's student body shows their Cougar pride at the Kennedys home game against Pleasant Valley.
Kennedy’s student body shows their Cougar pride at the Kennedys home game against Pleasant Valley.
Ella Smith

With the 2024-25 season in full swing, Kennedy athletics allows us to cheer on our fellow Cougars. The students can become out of control and rowdy if issues are not addressed. There needs to be a conversation about acceptable behavior at sporting events.  

At Kennedy, football games bring in the largest crowd compared to any other sport. However, when students in the student sections don’t follow designated rules, it ruins the fun for others. There are rules in the student section for a reason. 

“I expect our Kennedy students to behave correctly in the stands.” Kennedy Principal Jason Kline said. “We have had many instances where we have had to throw students out of the game and believe me, I don’t like doing that. Don’t yell at the other team. Especially profanities. We are better than that, and I will kick you out.”

During games at kingston, students often bring extra items that suit the student section theme. A few of these items include baby powder and confetti.

“Absolutely no items that will make a mess are allowed in the student section,” Kline said. “These items cause messes and make it a bigger hassle for the people who have to clean it up. Baby powder is also a health hazard when inhaled through the lungs. We prohibit items for a reason.” 

Seniority plays a large role in the student section. Seniors have two designated rows up front. Out of the senior class, there are select individuals who organize the student section, these seniors display the chants on a whiteboard for other students. 

“The front-row seniors always have a whiteboard. If you don’t know what to do, look at the board, the cheer is always on the board,” Kennedy alum Emersyn Secora said. 

If you’re a freshman, stay in the back. It is an honorable thing to be a senior. Not all grades are equal in the student section. This is a known statement within the student section.

“Freshmen need to stay in the back. It doesn’t matter who you’re friends with. Just wait your turn to sit up front, but if you’re in the back you still need to cheer.”

“Go to the games. You’re only in high school for so long. You have so much fun, I promise.” Kennedy alum Emersyn Secora said. 

Kennedy has high attendance at football games. It displays our school spirit and support. Games are more enjoyable when no one is causing issues and when students are there to support the cougar nation.

“Have fun, be safe, and enjoy the game.” Kline said. “ We aren’t here for anything except cheering on our fellow cougars.” “Also please have your ride pick you up right after the game. If you stay waiting for a ride I have to wait for you, and I wanna go home.” 

As the football season and other sports seasons continue, remember to follow enforced rules and be respectful to seniors. At the end of the day, we are all attending these sporting events to have fun and make memories together. 

$215
$750