Categories:

Junior Cougars Get First Glimpse of School Spirit at Kennedy’s Annual Cheer and Dance Clinic

Senior Willa Bowman joins second and third graders in a cheer.
Anyah Stoppelmoor

The annual Kennedy Cheer and Dance Clinic is an opportunity for junior Cougars, pre-k through fifth grade, interested in cheerleading and dance to learn about possible future activities. Kids learn cheers and dances, with increasing difficulty by grade, and perform during one of Kennedy’s football games.

The clinic is run by Head Cheer Coach Shelby Patterson who partners with Dance Team Coach Courtney Kalb to give kids a chance to experience both sports.

“We want to provide the kids with a chance to learn both cheers and a dance routine since both teams are such a big part of school spirit at Kennedy and cheering on the Cougars,” Kalb said.

Junior cougars are taught three cheers by Kennedy cheerleaders and a 45-second dance routine by dance team members. It ensures each child is placed in groups to learn routines at their skill level.

“The dance team and cheer team work together to provide a fun and safe experience for the students that come,” Patterson said.

The clinic has been an on-and-off tradition at Kennedy for many years. Since Patterson became coach, the event has taken place for seven years straight.

“I love watching girls [and] boys who return year after year,” Patterson said. “They continue to come and participate and it’s so fun to see them grow.”

Kids sign up, learn the routines, and perform that Friday night. There is no previous experience required.

“I liked trying both the cheers and the dances,” 4-year-old participant Elise Slaughter said.

Patterson has been growing the clinic program since she started coaching and plans to continue doing so, providing a positive experience for kids.

“I absolutely love getting younger students involved in our program and we have a great reputation for our clinics,” Patterson said.

For the full album check out the Flickr!

Donate to Kennedy Torch
$215
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Kennedy High School - IA. Your contribution will go towards the purchase of a new lens for our photographers.