Categories:

Drum Majors, Is Your Band Ready?

The Kennedy Marching Band performs at inner city rival game vs CR Washington.
Isaac White

The Kennedy Band Department has a lot to be proud of this year, from impressive improvement by their marching band to the jazz band’s first ever performance at the Iowa Jazz State Championships. But above all else, the department’s student leadership shines.

Senior drum majors Riana Kraft and Griffin Bieber led one of Kennedy’s best marching band performances in years, attacking challenges with timing and rhythm in the band and achieving the “best drum major” award at West Des Moines Valley’s Valleyfest.

“I became interested in being a drum major because I had a great, great love for the program, and was looking to give back in any way I could,” Bieber said. “The entire band program has done so much for me and has helped me find purpose and joy, so it felt right to try and pay it back. I also really wanted to be someone that my fellow band students could feel like they could rely on.”

Kraft’s interest in being a drum major did not originate the same way. She auditioned as a sophomore, the only non-senior from her year to become a drum major in 2022 and ascending to Head Drum Major for the 2023 marching season.

“I was not that interested in being a drum major,” Kraft said. “I didn’t really picture myself in that area. I was practicing in one of the practice rooms and Williamson, one of Kennedy’s band directors, barged in and said, ‘Hey, try out for drum major,’ so I did. It was probably one of the best decisions I ever made.”

Taking on a leadership role was even more difficult for Kraft because the class of 2024 lost out on many of the experiences that come with freshman year due to the pandemic.

“I didn’t really have a first year in marching band, so for me, going from a freshman, newbie-type role during my sophomore year to one of the highest positions you could be in was definitely a shift,” Kraft said. “It was tough for me mentally and friendship-wise because I had to adjust to being in that leadership role and being suddenly looked at as a leader and the authority and responsibility that came with it. I had a little bit of imposter syndrome. Going into my senior year though, there was definitely a shift and it became a lot easier for me.”

The role was fulfilling for both students, who look back fondly on memories from marching seasons past.

“Band is a beautiful and fulfilling group,” Bieber said. “You get to be with an amazing community of unique but like-minded people and share in performing awesome music and making even better memories. My favorite part of the position has been being able to get to know all of the band students and to work with them closely, whether in sectionals, in the ensembles or just as friends hanging around. It’s great to know you have an impact.”

The marching band season itself was a rollercoaster, especially for Kraft. From struggling with certain parts of their sets and trying to form a bond with her bandmates before competition season began, Kraft was overcome when her hard work paid off.

“We won best drum major at Valley and Clinton, but the Valley competition is like marching band’s version of state,” Kraft said. “It was unreal, the schools were all three times our size and just knowing that we measured up to and exceeded them told me that me and my team were capable of incredible things. It made me realize that I put in all this work with these people and it clearly showed to the judges. Unforgettable.”

Both drum majors did a significant amount of work behind the scenes, trying to make this year run as smoothly as possible and form a group everyone could feel comfortable in.

“A lot of times, some of the drum major stuff won’t be noticed,” Bieber said. “Like helping before and after rehearsals, helping with rides, helping paint yard lines, organizing events, providing insights, et cetera. However, it all helps to contribute to an environment where your fellow band students have less on their plate that they may worry about, so they can focus on what makes band fun.”

The experience may be taxing, but come the season end, the leaders are able to look back with no regrets, regardless of how well or poorly they did, simply because of the environment they were able to create.

“For future drum majors, I would like them to remember that it’s really all about the people,” Bieber said. “Sure, playing well and ranking high is fun, but this is really about the memories you make. If you can help foster a comfortable environment, where people feel encouraged and confident in themselves, that’s really what matters.”

Donate to Kennedy Torch
$215
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Kennedy High School - IA. Your contribution will go towards the purchase of a new lens for our photographers.